Savannah Vasquez @DestinLogSav
We’ve all had travel envy at one point or another. You know the drill, your friends post beautiful photos on social media of the crystal clear beach, or their cocktails by the pool, and you just think, “Not fair! How are they able to vacation and I’m not? What do they know that I don’t?”
Without pulling out the credit cards, and spending away your life savings (or lack thereof), we here at Destin.com have rustled up some ideas to help you get the vacation you deserve. We want to help get you here!
Although this list may not guarantee your bank will fit the bill — pun intended — here are a few rules of thumb that may just help you save up for your next (or first) vacation trip to Destin.
1. Eat out sparingly — This one takes a bit of self-control, but totally pays off in the end. Try eating out only once a week, or even less if you can. The extra money you will save can be stashed away for treating yourself to meals out while you are visiting our piece of paradise. Of course, this advice continues when you are actually on vacation; if you plan accordingly, you can score free breakfast at your hotel, pick up a picnic at a local grocer for lunch, and plan on only one meal out per day to save on extravagant meal costs. Most condos in Destin come with a full kitchen, so preparing your meals in-house is easier than you think!
2. Wine not — As in, do not purchase as much wine and alcohol. Let’s face it, alcohol is expensive, so if you want to save a buck, purchase fewer adult beverages, or consider limiting your consumption to a bottle or two of wine a week. This is a win-win as your calorie intake will also be on the healthier side!
3. Live local — While it seems that so many of your friends like to go on lavish trips, consider a closer-to-home choice that is within driving distance. When you need a break, consider a long weekend trip within a 6- to 12-hour drive from your home. Destin is actually within a day’s drive from many southern and midwestern states; take a look at Google Maps and plan your next “local” getaway. There are even a few airlines that offer reasonable rates to and from Destin — check to see if your hometown is on the list!
4. Try non-traditional housing — The best way to save up for a hotel is to not even have to pay for one! No really, consider trying a non-traditional route of staying with friends, family or an Airbnb, or VRBO. Airbnb options span from renting someone’s couch or bedroom to renting an entire house, depending on where you look. Often these type stays are cheaper and offer more room for your money. Happy hunting!
5. Cut out excess — There are a few first-world luxuries that can be lived without, and likewise can help save money. For example, a costly cable contract can be switched out for a monthly subscription to Netflix, Hulu or even a cell plan with an added TV option. These choices end up being cheaper, and as a bonus, can travel with you on your laptop or cellphone while you are on vacation! Other money-saving excess items could include cutting out magazine subscriptions, nail appointments, or even internet if you have access during the day.
6. Side-Hustle — Gone are the childhood days where a pop-up lemonade stand or lawn-mowing business can gain you an extra couple bucks, but there are still ways to make some money as a side job if you have a creative idea. For example, if you have craft skills, consider opening an Etsy shop online to sell what you make. If you have a deep closet, consider selling your extra clothes to consignment shops. Other ideas could include stock photography, cake baking or even being a referee for little league soccer games.
7. Travel Savvy — Did you know there are ways to save money while you spend money? Say what?! Yes, you read that correctly, there are deals to be found from booking your vacation activities to choosing a travel method. Besides your normal Groupon route, there are new phone and tablet apps that can help save and even earn money towards travel. (Check out www.wanderlustrewards.com, for example.) Other ideas are to check local travel sites for seasonal deals. For instance, many summer tourism hotspots offer discounts in the fall and winter and vice versa. If airfare is your main mode of travel, many airlines offer credit cards that can earn you points for qualifying flights and purchases.
8. Split the tab — Do you have close friends or family members that would love to accompany you on your getaway? Consider inviting them along for the trip, because shared expenses mean costs are lower for everyone!
9. Keep the change — This is a tried but true way to save your own extra money. Every time you have spare change (or find it in the couch cushions) put it into a savings jar and don’t break into it until vacation time. You may not have saved up for a vacation this way, but your pinched pennies may add up to cover meal costs, or that extra activity you planned.
10. Shop on a budget — This one may be hard for retail therapy lovers, but budgets really can free up money for later splurging. Make a weekly grocery budget and stick to it as close as you can. Also, try shopping at discount stores, and limit your spending on new items throughout the year. When the urge comes to spend, just remind yourself what you have to look forward to!
So there you have it! Hopefully these tips will help you save up this year so that next season we will see your happy faces on the Emerald Coast with your toes in the white sand and your hair in the salty breeze.
Source : http://www.nwfdailynews.com/destin/20171019/10-ways-to-save-up-for-your-destin-vacation